[Savannah-users] git push -f

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Savannah-users] git push -f
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 10:27:37 +0900

WTF, I tried to use "git push -f" to savannah, but it wouldn't let me:

   $ git push -f sv
   Counting objects: 90, done.
   Compressing objects: 100% (70/70), done.
   Writing objects: 100% (70/70), 30.27 KiB, done.
   Total 70 (delta 50), reused 0 (delta 0)
   remote: error: denying non-fast-forward refs/heads/master (you should pull
first)
   To ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/snogray.git
    ! [remote rejected] master -> master (non-fast-forward)
   error: failed to push some refs to 'ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/snogray.git'

What setting can I change to allow this?

[I did this to correct a bogus push, about 1 minute after the initial
bogus push (so little practical danger for my probably-little-followed
repo).

I know such settings are "well-meaning", but I've already
forced-pushed the corrected version to all my other remotes, and now
savannah is out of sync -- meaning that its refusal to allow the
forced push has _increased_ the danger to anybody pulling from this
repo (by significantly increasing the time until I can get things
fixed up), rather than reducing it as was presumably the intention...]

[If somebody can do this for me locally on the savannah server, I've
pushed the desired new master as a branch called "tmp" in the repo
(srv/git/snogray.git).]

Thanks,

-miles

--
Education, n. That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the foolish
their lack of understanding.