Re: [Savannah-users] http://savannah.nongnu.org/contact.php

From: Kaz Kylheku
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] http://savannah.nongnu.org/contact.php
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 22:05:59 -0700

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 15:18:00 -0700, Bengt Richter <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
> What is nongnu ??
>
> Funny that your contact address for this email in the mailto: link
> on http://savannah.nongnu.org/contact.php is @gnu.org,
> not @nongnu.org or some subdomain thereof.
>
> What's the significance of the nongnu distinction??

There is software which is free (needless to say, given the
context, in a "GNU compatible" way) but which is not part of
the GNU project.

Most programs start as part of the GNU project. The GNU
project is absolutely desperate for anyone who can
write anything that compiles, and so the bar is incredibly
low. (Think: crud like GDB, bash, etc.)

But as soon as these programs reach a low bug count,
achieve user-friendly interfaces for interactive and
programming use, and demonstrate pristinely clean,
perspicuously transparent code base, GNU programs get
promoted to the Non-GNU side.

(Or wait, might I have that somewhat backwards?)

> BTW. Note that you get to http://savannah.nongnu.org/
> if you ping gnu.org and use the returned ip address in a browser like:

Amazing, isn't it! Welcome to the 1990's, where we have multiple
domains on one host. (And even multiple IP's on the same network
interface, bah!)

(Wanna rent one? $15.95 a month, 5 kilobytes of personal space,
and you get yourdomain.com.meaningless-string.my-domain.com
to promote your "brand" in a professional way! Wow, deal!)

:)