Re: [Savannah-users] Git repo for a fork

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Git repo for a fork
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 09:49:00 +0900

Stayvoid <address@hidden> writes:
>> Of course, but my point is, if you can cooperate with the maintainers
>> instead of producing an independent work and fragmenting what users see,
>> that would be nice.
>
> Maintainers asked me about it. They want to pull my code.
> (I can't push to the main branch because my code is not good enough.)

Yeah, it's quite often nice to have "personal but public" lightweight
forks, and it can _foster_ cooperation, by making it very easy to
share, and making it very easy to have public experiments.

Git and sites like Github have done a great job of lowering the
"cooperative hacking threshold," avoiding the very common "yeah I
added that feature a few years ago, I think I've got a patch somewhere
on my home machine...maybe..." scenario.

However one thing I don't like about e.g. Github is that often it's
not all that clear what the relationship between forks of the same
project are; if there's a well-accepted "official" repo, and various
personal/side repos, it would be nice if there was some indicator of
the hierarchy....  [Despite that DVCS is good and all, sometimes I'd
like some repos to be more equal than others... :]

-Miles

--
Defenceless, adj. Unable to attack.