Re: [Savannah-users] Editing web page

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Editing web page
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 22:01:52 GMT

> Is there like an automatic
> mechanism that updates the webpage during commits

Yes, exactly (namely hitting a given url).  The machines actually
serving www.nongnu.org (and www.gnu.org) are maintained by the FSF
sysadmins, and are not part of savannah (and savannah people have no
access to them).

    I believe that when you're committing with CVS, you're writing to the
    exact same files that the webserver is serving.

If only that were so.  When the above "mechanism" fails, which happens
from time to time, CVS webpage commits are not reflected on the live
site until it is fixed.  There are also plenty of discrepancies between
the collected CVS repositories and the www.nongnu.org (or www.gnu.org),
in sum, mostly about old directories not being removed, etc.

After many years of struggle and incremental improvements, all I can say
is, I don't expect all of this to ever be perfectly solved.  (And, BTW,
all this is one reason why I remain utterly unenthused about supporting
non-CVS vc's for web pages, as adding another layer of significant
complexity to an already fraught system.)

Best,
karl

P.S. Regarding using svn (or git, or whatever) for web pages, though
it's true that there is no direct support for it, see rgm's mail and
following thread here for an idea to accomplish it, depending on how
strongly you want it:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2013-04/msg00022.html