Re: [Savannah-users] file size and traffic limits?

From: adrelanos
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] file size and traffic limits?
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 17:36:08 +0000

Jan Owoc:
> Hi Adrelanos,
>
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 7:02 PM, adrelanos <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> What is maximum allowed file size savannah non-gnu?
>>
>> How much traffic can you handle?
>>
>> Next Whonix version has ~3 GB file size and the current version has
>> ~1000 downloads per week and who knows how many people will try it out
>> when next version is announced. It is still hosted on sourceforge and
>> before I upload it to savannah, I wanted to ask if you can handle the load.
>
> I'm not a Savannah admin. I recall there being source DVDs for
> GNU/Linux distros that were larger than 3GB, so the file size is
> likely not a problem. The additional 3TB/week of traffic may (maybe a
> Savannah admin can let you know).
>
> Would it be possible to make a torrent file of the release, and
> promote the torrent as the preferred download method? For downloads
> more than about 100MB I personally always pick the torrent because
> it's resistant to dropped connections or silent corruption.

We have torrent downloads already, but a hard time getting initial seeders.

When the chips are down, I could leave bulk direct downloads on
sourceforge. Bulk direct downloads are a frequently requested feature.
Sourceforge somehow magically managed to have no issues with either file
sizes and traffic. Unfortunately, sourceforge does not support direct
download links (hotlinking), which savannah seems to support.

Well, but maybe savannah has unlimited traffic as well? - To find that
out, I am asking.

Maybe as an alternative I could use savannah torrent "as" [1] source,
which would essentially mean, that only as long there are no torrent
seeders, savannah would be used by the torrent client. Of course I
couldn't prevent users making direct downloads from savannah, but if
that link does not get advertised, few will use it and cause much less
traffic.

In any case, if savannah has limited traffic quote,
throttling/monitoring and soft/hard limits as safety precautions would
be wise. You'll never know when press/blogs picks up something and
advertise arbitrary links. I'd like to discuss this in advance, so there
will be no nasty surprises.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_URI_scheme#Normal_.28as.29