Re: [Savannah-users] Allowing non-fastforward pushes in git

From: Kaz Kylheku
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] Allowing non-fastforward pushes in git
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 08:40:19 -0800

On 17.01.2015 23:48, Bob Proulx wrote:

Nik Nyby wrote:

I'm trying to remove the history in the git repo for LibreJS.

First let me say that opening with that sentence is pretty scary when
talking to curators of the archive.

I made a new git repository that I'm trying to push to the old one.

And whenever a repository is changed due to a non-fastforward push it
invalidates everyone's repository who has ever cloned from it. I know
the repository is only since 9-Dec-2014 but just the same anyone who
has cloned from it will need to reset. And you just sent an
announcement to info-gnu talking about this repository.

Git is crippled without non-fast-forward pushes. It means that the repository is useless for doing development tasks, like rebasing a topic development branch to the latest trunk. (An action that is easily coordinated among developers.)

Savannah's git creation scripts should just make git repos that are
non-fast-forward enabled by default. It wastes everyone's time to have
to ask to have that.

Another solution is two repos per project. The master which allows only fast
forward updates of heads and tags, and a second "wild" repo, downstream
of that one, allows history rewriting.

If it is frowned upon by Savannah to have mutable git repos, then that should
be spelled out clearly: "host your development somewhere else and please
push into Savannah only history that will never change."