Re: [Savannah-users] About projects web pages

From: Danilo G. Baio
Subject: Re: [Savannah-users] About projects web pages
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 18:25:37 -0200

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 6:02 PM, Bob Proulx <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Danilo,
>
> Danilo G. Baio wrote:
> > I've noticed that in FreeBSD, some ports have their web pages broken.
> >
> > This happens with all projects pointing to http://www.nongnu.org/%%
> PROJECT%%
> > I think at least 100 ports on FreeBSD are affected with this.
>
> First let me say that I am not one of the FSF admins.  I volunteer
> with Savannah.  So all of this that I am going to say is second hand
> information.  I can't login to the FSF systems and look.  Read details
> with caution because it might be wrong! :-) But hopefully useful
> anyway.
>
> My first thought is that I don't know why this is being brought up
> here on savannah-users since it isn't related to Savannah.  What can
> we do about it?  I might think that gnu-misc-discuss might be better.
> (Shrug.)  I don't know.  But there isn't anything Savannah Hackers can
> do about it since it is on other systems that are not Savannah
> systems.
>
> Here is what I know.  Sometime last week it was reported that there
> was a certificate problem with the www.nongnu.org system (on
> wildebeest.gnu.org the system that hosts it).  This was a systematic
> problem and affected *ALL* of the projects, not just the ones you
> mentioned.  You weren't getting picked on in particular.  It was just
> a fault and everything using it was broken.
>
> The FSF admins started working on the problem but were unable to
> complete it last week.  And unfortunately the debugging of the https
> certificate problem apparently broke the http side of things too.
> That appears to have been an Oops.  On Saturday more reports came in
> to Savannah about this new problem of www.nongnu.org returning 404 Not
> Found for everything.  But since www.nongnu.org on wildebeest is not a
> Savannah system there wasn't anything we could do other than redirect
> things over to sysadmin.  Which I did and on Saturday Ian jumped in
> and got the http side of things back online.  Thanks Ian!  This wasn't
> a system he was familiar with, he's new, and the https certificate
> problem predated the http breakage so things had to get left at that
> point for others to fix later.
>
> Today on Sunday I check and see that the redirect from http to https
> has been removed.  I am sure this is temporary just to avoid the
> broken https certificate.  It's about the only temporary workaround
> that can get things back working without an error.  Even though it
> does drop support for https for the moment.  I know this will only be
> temporary and https will be when it is working again.  Things are
> online in a workaround state until the certificate fix is completed.
>
> > The addresses http://www.nongnu.org/%%PROJECT%% will work again?
>
> When I woke up this morning and looked I see that the above are all
> working again now.  The only caveat is that they are (temporarily) no
> longer redirecting to https as they had been doing.

> [...]

Hello bob.

Thanks for sharing this information, I thought that savannah takes care of
it.

You are right, at this moment it's all working again (even without https
redirect).

In future if something like this happens again, I'll open a ticket, thanks
for the heads up.

Regards.
--
Danilo G. Baio (dbaio)