screen-devel

[screen-devel] [bug #31368] [patch] 'startat' command to change the firs

From: anonymous
Subject: [screen-devel] [bug #31368] [patch] 'startat' command to change the first window number
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 19:35:47 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                 Release: Cur Dev Sources
           Fixed Release: None
         Planned Release: None
           Work Required: None

Details:

I have attached a patch that creates a command called 'startat'.  The command
allows users to change the default starting window number from 0 to 1 (or
anything else).  Please consider applying it.

The patch is quite trivial -- only 4 new lines of C code (the rest is
documentation).

Motivation:

On my keyboard, the '0' key is to the right of the '9' key, not to the left
of the '1' key.  Thus, I prefer to have my window numbering start at 1, not
0.

I've added the following lines to my .screenrc to simulate starting at 1:

bind c screen 1  # new windows start at 1
bind 0 select 10 # C-a 0 selects window 10, not window 0
bind ` select 0  # C-a ` selects window 0
screen 1         # create window 1 on startup to inhibit window 0

Unfortunately, the above is unsatisfactory for a few reasons:
  * 'screen emacs -nw' puts emacs on window 0, not window 1
  * 'screen emacs -nw' creates two windows:  window 0 has emacs, window 1 has
a shell.  I only want one window (emacs).
  * if /etc/screenrc contains 'screen 1' (perhaps the sysadmin or
distribution maintainer also wants windows to start at 1), then two windows
are created (1 and 2).

File Attachments:

Date: Mon 18 Oct 2010 07:35:46 PM UTC  Name: startat.patch  Size: 6kB   By:
None