Re: piping files to vim command line, results in dead screen

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: piping files to vim command line, results in dead screen
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:08:53 +1000

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 04:07, Adam Monsen wrote:
> Joe's right, this isn't a screen issue.
>
> When you pipe anything to vi, the default is to try to execute

Except I'm not piping direct to vi, I'm going via xargs, so vim just
gets a list of files on it's standard in. But standard in isn't a term.

I guess the question is - why does it work at all (how come vim actually
displays all the files thusly passed in, for me to edit, and I can edit
them, save, etc - all in full color, etc) (ie. it's just when I exit the
last file that it "hangs" the terminal) ???

> commands since the user can't possibly interact with a disconnected
> terminal (ie: if Vi was run from within a script), so it probably
> emulates 'ex'. See:

Thanks for the link - however my question above baffles me. This link
suggests I shouldn't end up being able to edit at all. Perhaps the
default behaviour of vim has changed in this situation.

> Put this in your ~/.vimrc:
> map gf :split <cfile><CR>

Thanks heaps
Zen