Re: problem using screen after running /bin/su

From: Michael Schroeder
Subject: Re: problem using screen after running /bin/su
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:03:04 +0200

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 09:27:06AM +0200, David Balazic wrote:
> >From your explanation I don't see why all other programs work ( can read and
> write the tty ),
> while screen can't.

All other programs just read/write to the filedescriptor. The problem
with screen is that the "backend" is a different process that
doesn't have the descriptor. We could use an IPC message to transfer
the file descriptor to the backend, but screen doesn't do that
at the moment.

We also do this check right on startup, so that the user doesn't
get a reattach error later on and also because we reopen the
tty with O_RDWR in case it was O_RDONLY before...

(/dev/tty doesn't exist for the backend process, and I don't
see how 'screen -r </dev/tty' can work.)

Cheers,
  Michael.

--
Michael Schroeder           address@hidden