lines mangled with screen

From: A. Craig West
Subject: lines mangled with screen
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:27:43 -0400 (EDT)

>Under gnome term and screen (3.09.13 on Redhat 9) the fancy lines from
>dialog(1) are not being rendered as lines but non-representational ascii
>characters.  I suspect that they are part of the various escape codes to
>describe lines.

>An example of the problem: http://www.ciphermonkeys.org/~po/screen/

>My .screenrc has only one line:
>hardstatus alwayslastline "%-w%{.wB}%n %t%{-}%+w %=%{.w} %H: %l %{-}%d/%m
>%c"

>It works fine under gnome-term but not gnome-term + screen.
>Interestingly, dialog renders correctly under xterm + screen and rvxt +
>screen.  I think that suggests it's an interaction problem between
>gnome-term and screen, but what is the remedy?

I saw an earlier message from Po Petz about a similar problem with ncurses
line drawing characters being mangled when displayed in a screen session on a
gnome term. In my case, it is being displayed in a Cygwin bash window, and
the screen version in use is 4.00.01. The symptoms appear to be VERY similar,
though. Does anybody know what could be causing this?

--
Craig West         Ph: (416) 666-1645   |  It's not a bug,
address@hidden                  |  It's a feature...