Re: (no subject)

From: jmartin
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:43:11 +0000 (Local time zone must be set--see zic manual page)

Screen is one of my favorite programs -- I've used it since the 90's, and continue to use it almost every waking moment. I have a few unfinished hacks to speed up switching between screens (mainly adding a screen list that's sorted by last-viewed and/or most viewed).

I've also contemplated separating out the display logic from the backend pty logic into more of a client-server model to achieve two goals: first, to build non-terminal front-ends, like a tabbed terminal emulator in X, or an OSX Cocoa tabbed terminal; second, to securely (ssh?) interconnect screen backends, so that you could bridge two (or more) hosts running screen, and switching between screens on different hosts would be transparent.

I've also briefly contemplated integrating a command interpreter like Expect into screen so that (when enabled), certain actions could be automated. i.e.: if I were running a tail -f in one screen, the command interpreter could watch for a certain message and bug me while I'm watching another screen. Think of it as a smart version of the Notify functionality.

Sure, all of those lofty goals could probably be hacked through using external tools, scripts, etc, but I'm talking about something more integrated.

I'd be more than happy to contribute, although my unix c/c++ isn't quite what it used to be.

-Jon