Re: (no subject)

From: Brian Mathis
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:58:00 -0500

cga wrote:
[...]
Also mouse support would be a great feature.

The first I thing I look at when evaluating a new app is whether it's
usable w/o a mouse. The only use I have for a mouse is plugging
one in to disable the touchpad on my laptop.

One reason I'm moving away from the X gui's is that they're usually
difficult or impossible to navigate w/o a mouse.  Let's just hope that
adding or enhancing mouse support in gnu/screen won't result in
some functionality loss where keyboard navigation is concerned.
[..]

How do the other list members feel about this?

Skeptical.. On thing that makes gnu/screen stand out is its remarkable
ergonomy. With minimal customization you have every possible
navigation feature literally at your fingertips. With mouse-navigable
window managers you have it at arm's length instead...

Hopefully, this great piece of software can be configured without
mouse support.

cga

This is one of the things keeping Windows as my main desktop. Windows has keyboard ability for almost everything. It's not a problem with GUIs, just the Linux GUIs.

'screen' mouse support would be great, but that doesn't mean other features should be lost to it. Most console-based GUIs allow keyboard access.