Re: (no subject)

From: Brian Mathis
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:10:08 -0500

jmartin wrote:
Exactly my point. If screen were to be somewhat client/server, the backend would be a fairly static and simple server. It would be roughly the same across platforms, and do nothing more than manage ptys, state info, etc. The front-end clients on the other hand could be any wild mix of libs -- xlib, cocoa under OSX, wxwindows, win32, etc. Furthermore, if the method of communicating between client/server were TCP, the clients could not only be remote, but platform independant. I guess at this point it becomes a really fancy virtual terminal server. :)

Yeah, this is a great idea. A wrench in the works though is security. Somehow you'd need to be able to do this via ssh.

I know you can forward ports in ssh, but that's a nasty hack for frequent use. It'd be a real pain to have to log-in twice to a machine you wanted to screen on (login via ssh, then start your screen-gui).

A possibly lighter-weight alternative could be to have your client be able to discover what windows you have open, ala "^A w", then display a tab for each window. It could switch between them by inserting "^A #" (#=tab number). Seems pretty simple to me, though it would all be on the client side.