UTF-8-encoded strings in .screenrc

From: Nikolai Weibull
Subject: UTF-8-encoded strings in .screenrc
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 01:00:46 +0200

Are there any plans on UTF-8/Unicode-enabling .screenrc?  Currently, I
can't write

activity "activity in window %n, “%t”, at %0c"

as that will show

instead (â being the value of the first octet of “ and ” in UTF-8).

I realize that this is a small improvement, but perhaps there's also a
small solution.  I couldn't figure it out though, but I guess it would
require a lot of replacing of str*-function calls.

Either way, I guess it's good to post this request so that I won't
forget about it,

Nikolai Weibull, now available free of change at!