Re: Setting an escape character on the command line

From: Will Maier
Subject: Re: Setting an escape character on the command line
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:49:20 -0500

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:18:27PM -0400, Phil!Gregory wrote:
> * Will Maier <address@hidden> [2005-06-27 17:45 -0500]:
> > However, the key sequence I use to go to the most recent region (not just
> > next/previous, but most recently visited) doesn't work unless I reset the
> > escape
> > character (:escape ^\\\). The key sequence (CTRL-\,CTRL-\) works after
> > setting
> > the escape sequence from within screen, but not when it's set on the command
> > line.
>
> I can reproduce this.  When you set the escape key via the screen 'escape'
> command, it also makes a binding to the 'other' command, which is what
> switches to the most recently-used window.  When you set the escape
> sequence via the command line, it simply does not bind 'other' to
> anything.  I would consider this to be a bug.

I still only get the potentially buggy behavior with the backslash character --
other escapes specified on the command line *do* seem to be bound to 'other'
automatically. Could the code somehow not handle the backslash appropriately on
the command line? This is what lead me to wonder about zsh (although I did try
tcsh and bash with the same result).

> > Also, a quick bonus question: any way to create a window as a zombie?

I imagine I could do this with a little 'stuff'ing, but it's hardly worth it.
Offhand, does anyone know how much a zombified window "costs" in resources?

Will Maier