Re: binding Ctrl+Tab

From: Joe Zbiciak
Subject: Re: binding Ctrl+Tab
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 06:25:57 -0800 (PST)

--- Juergen Weigert <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Nov 15, 05 04:46:28 -0800, Joe Zbiciak wrote:
> > Juergen,
> >
> > Actually on the two Linux boxes I tried, Shift-Tab and
> > Ctrl-Shift-Tab both appear to send ESC [ Z.
>
> Interesting... But yes.
> Linux kbd driver can be configured
> to generate keycodes for whatever you want.

True.  In this case, I was referring to the behavior I saw
with xterm on one machine and gnome-terminal on another.  I
also see the same ^[[Z sequence using PuTTY from a WinXP
box.  (Just verified the latter.)

> Precisely speaking, I should have said:
>
> No, the VT220 or ANSI terminals specifications do not
> have keycodes for CTRL-Tab and Shift-Ctrl-Tab.

That I'll buy.  :-)

> So there is nothing you can rely on, if
> you ever want to reattach through different remote
> connections.

Or, at least, you can only rely on the common sequences
available on the range of terminal software available to
expect to be available to you.  For instance, in my case,
if I felt like breaking my hand pressing Ctrl-Tab, I could
safely bind it, since the three clients I use regularly
support it.

Based on ergonomics alone, I personally have no interest in
binding this key combination.  ;-)

Regards,

--Joe

We sell Spatulas, and that's all!