Re: backtick metacharacter confused by scrolly wheel in vim

From: Aaron Griffin
Subject: Re: backtick metacharacter confused by scrolly wheel in vim
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:27:56 -0500

On 4/10/06, Ed Dench <address@hidden> wrote:
> AFAIK, the trouble only happens within vim and with an up scroll.  If I
> have a xterm scrollback buffer I am able to scroll up and down without a
> problem.  If I use control-V in vim to indicate the character pressed, some
> times I get a ^[[M` output.  Notice the last character is the backtick and
> that I often get different output (e.g., ^[[M.  ).
>
> My working theory is that  screen receives a "button-4" press from a scroll
> up as an escape sequence which includes "normal keys" including a backtick.
> (Blame xdefaults? or X's general behavior?).

No, terminal emulators of all kinds do not understand buttons (beyond
the typical X workings - grabbing focus, selecting text, etc).  They
only receive an escape code, which is well defined (the ^[[M`RC is
defined in man console_codes and is there for X10 compatiblity).

You have 2 options:
1) Don't use a single character - this is the problem with that
approach.  I used to use \ as an escape character and would get all
sorts of wonky behavior when pasting ("hello\nthere" would switch
windows).
2) Force your terminal to remap the escape code.  Some may allow this.
 It may require you to patch the source.

There is no way around this.  Any change is going to be an insane
amount of hassle.  I'd recommend switching escape keys.