creating command aliases

From: Conrad O'Dea
Subject: creating command aliases
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:35:37 +0100

Hi,

it is possible to create a command alias in .screenrc?

What I would like to do is to bind a command to a string that is entered into command line mode. Screen than expands the string and executes the command. So my .screenrc would contain something like:

        alias sshhost screen -t address@hidden host

and then entering command line mode, I can type:

        sshhost <RET>

and up pops a new screen.

I scanned the man page and could not fine anything like this. The closest is binding a command to a key combo but that's not quite it; I'll never remember the key-bindings for all the shells and other stuff I would like to define. Also, just plopping them into the .screenrc so that they are launched at start-up isn't what I'm after either as many of these things are transient in nature and I'll end up with loads of terminals that aren't being used.

thanks
Conrad