Re: Backspace/Delete Issues?

From: Aaron Davies
Subject: Re: Backspace/Delete Issues?
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 11:02:47 -0400

On 5/12/06, Alain Bench <address@hidden> wrote:
 On Thursday, May 11, 2006 at 11:44:24 -0400, Aaron Davies wrote:

> On 5/11/06, Alain Bench <address@hidden> wrote:
>>| $ infocmp -1 | grep kbs
>>|     kbs=^H,
> Nope, I get \177

    Good. It's the good kbs value, describing PuTTY's default config
Terminal -> Keyboard -> Backspace: Control-? (127). So all directly
running apps are correctly informed about what the key sends, and they
do work. Screen itself also could need this information.

    But still Screen's prompt fails, and apps running inside Screen
fail. For some reason Screen does not seem to translate the key code
between the real terminal and apps for the [backspace] key, as it does
for other keys as say [F1]. I don't know why. And I'm not sure what
would be the best solution.

    What about trying a specialized "screen.putty" terminfo overriding
"screen"s fixed idea of backspace? Do "tic -x screen.putty.src" as
simple user, verify TERM=putty, start Screen, and verify it
automatically exported TERM=screen.putty (otherwise screenrc
interferes). Does the [backspace] key work in apps?

Sorry, does nothing. BTW, TERM is xterm by default, but I ran screen
as "TERM=screen screen", it had TERM=screen.putty inside, and
backspace behaved as my last case above--it was completely ignored by
screen and registered as ^H by other things. (One good test is
searching in less--less a file, do a "/" search, and try to backspace
on the search string.)
--
Aaron Davies
address@hidden