Re: Good value for defobuflimit

From: Michael Parson
Subject: Re: Good value for defobuflimit
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 09:07:51 -0500

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 02:57:59AM +0200, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> On 10/22/06, Michael Parson <address@hidden>wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 12:19:14AM +0200, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> The following line has been in my screenrc for about two years now,
>>> and the question remains unanswered:
>>>
>>> #defobuflimit 16384 # TODO: what's a good value?
>>>
>>> Does anyone have an equation for calculating a good value?
>>
>> It's entirely dependant on the speed of your terminal.
>
> I realize that, hence the request for an equation.
>
>> If you're on a dialup, you might want to bump it up, if it's local or a
>> decent
>> broadband, you're probably OK with the default of 256 bytes.  16k seems
>> high enough for just about anything.
>
> OK.  And what's the reasoning here?

It's the size of an output buffer.  The faster your screen can print
what is stored in the buffer, the smaller the buffer needs to be, the
slower it is, the larger you might want it to be.

Don't really have an equation, it's more up to your usage habits and the
connection between you and your screen session.

I tend to use a large (132x50) xterm and have broadband just about
everywhere, so I can use the default.  If I were using a dialup or GPRS
session to log into the same box and run the same sized terminal and
screen, I might want to bump that up, so nothing gets lost.

--
Michael Parson
address@hidden