shell environment setup questions

From: Eric S. Johansson
Subject: shell environment setup questions
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:36:44 -0500

I am very close to releasing 0.1 of Boleyn, a wrapper for dtach. Boleyn will look for unattached dtach session sessions previously created then reattach to them and if there are none, create new ones.

I must admit to my slight embarrassment, that I'm not really fluent in shell environments and that I'm not exactly sure under which conditions I should invoke Boleyn. I created it because I was losing too many remote shell sessions every time my laptop suspended.

Obviously, it would want to be invoked if it's a interactive session coming from secure Shell but are there any others where it would make sense? I would appreciate both contexts and shell script fragments for testing those contexts that I could put together into a bash code fragment one could cut and paste into your bash_profile.

Oh yes, and we might even be able to make Boleyn applicable to screen if things work right.

PS if you don't get the joke behind the name, Google for "she walks the bloody Tower"