Re: New screen features available

From: cga2000
Subject: Re: New screen features available
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 19:01:48 -0500

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 05:34:31PM EST, Michael Schroeder wrote:

> Hi Screen Users,
>
> you probably wonder why the new version of screen is not already
> available. Well, it got delayed a bit because of a couple of new
> features I've added. The development version is available from
> GNU savanna:
>
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/screen co screen
>
> Here are the new features:
>
> - vertical split, complete with resizing
>
>   ^A |   split vertically
>
>   resize [-l] [-h] [-v] <amount>
>
>     -l : resize is local to slice
>     -h : resize horizontally
>     -v : resize vertically
>
>   amount: 10       resize to size 10
>   amount: +10      make 10 bigger
>   amount: -10      make 10 smaller
>   amount: 10%      make it 10% of all
>   amount: =        make all windows equal
>
> - better resize code using weights
>
>   the layout will stay in shape even after heavy resizing
>
> - window groups
>
>   currently a bit ugly to create:
>       screen -t <name> //group
>   creates a group named <name>
>
>   a group is a subset of windows, ^Aw will only display the
>   current group and next/prev will not leave the group.
>   Use ^A" to list all windows of the current group (this also
>   leaves to group, so that next/prev or a second ^A" will
>   show the other windows.
>
> - layouts
>
>   A layout stores the current setup of the display, i.e. all the
>   slices and the window assignments.
>
>       layout save Desktop1
>
>   will save the current setup under the name "Desktop1". If you
>   detach and reattach later on, the layout will automatically
>   be restored. "Desktop1" will become the current layout.
>
>       layout autosave off
>
>   This turns the autosafe feature off. Layouts are automatically
>   saved if autosave is on and the user detachs or switches to
>   another layout.
>
>       layout new Desktop2
>
>   Create a new empty layout named "Desktop2".
>
>       layout name "foo"
>
>   Rename the current layout to "foo".
>
>       layout next
>       layout prev
>       layout load "name"
>
>   Load the next/prev layout / the layout named "name".
>
>       layout attach :last
>       layout attach "name"
>
>   Set the layout used when somebody is attaching. Default is ":last",
>   this is the layout that was current when the last detach was done.
>
>   Besides the restoring of the screen on re-attach, layouts can be
>   used to implement a kind of "virtual desktop" in screen. Say
>   you put "layout save Desktop1" in your ~/.screenrc. If you
>   need a new Desktop, do "^A:layout new Desktop2". You can then
>   use "layout next" to switch between both layouts.
>
> So, feedback welcome. You probably have a lot of suggestions and
> enhancement requests. Sorry that development is a bit slow at
> the moment due to not enough spare time...
>
> Cheers,
>   Michael.

Thanks, Michael.

I have no suggestions or enhancement requests at this point but I am
very happy that the rumors I had heard about gnu/screen development
being abandoned were not true.

I am also quite thrilled that vertical split is possible with the new
release.  Due to the high definition of current displays this had
become indispensable.

Thank you very much.

cga.