Re: New screen features available

From: Michael Schroeder
Subject: Re: New screen features available
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 20:02:33 +0100

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 07:40:50PM -0500, Phil!Gregory wrote:
> > - vertical split, complete with resizing
>
> I'll compile and play with the new code a bit later tonight to see how the
> new vertical splits work with 'focus up' and 'focus down', but do you have
> plans to add 'focus left' and 'focus right'?

Uh, those two are named wrong. Currently we have "focus next" and
"focus prev", and yes, I plan to add up/down/left/right and
upmost/downmost/leftmost/rightmost as well.

> > - window groups
>
> I think I can already see uses for this.  (I have too many screen
> windows.  :)
>
> > - layouts
>
> Likewise, especially with the vertical splits.
>
> > You probably have a lot of suggestions and enhancement requests.
>
> I'd like, at least, to get an official response on whether you'd like to
> include my patch to add RFC 1345 digraphs to the 'digraph' command.
>
>   http://aperiodic.net/phil/screen/screen-rfc1345-digraph.patch

Good question. There are a couple of issues:

1) it breaks downward compatibility

2) in the old table the order of the two digraph keys does not matter.
   E.g. it contains
     a "  ->  LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH DIAERESIS
   and you can press either a" and "a to get an a-umlaut.
   This has the following use case: a user can bind

     bind : digraph \"

   and then get an a-umlaut by pressing ^A:a, an o-umlaut by pressing
   ^A:o and so on (so you have created an "umlaut" command). That's
   also why the old table has:
     s "  ->  LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S (German)

So it probably makes sense to make this configurable and ship screen
with both tables.

Cheers,
  Michael.

--