copy mode as scrollback viewer

From: Rod Nussbaumer
Subject: copy mode as scrollback viewer
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:20:42 -0000

Hi all.

I use screen in multiuser mode, to allow various people to concurrently monitor the output of a program that controls some equipment, and is intended to run perpetually. At times, we use the copy mode of screen as a scrollback function, to view reporting of recent history. I have discovered that during the time when the screen session is in copy mode, the application running in screen blocks while trying to write to it's standard output. In this situation, it is definitely a bad thing.

Is there some setting that can be applied to prevent this? What about a true scrollback mode, such as xterm provides? What underlying mechanism is causing this to happen?

BTW, all of this is 'Screen version 4.00.02 (FAU) 5-Dec-03', running on Scientific Linux 4.2 (2.6.9-42.0.2.ELsmp), a RHEL4 knock-off.

Thanks for your attention.

Rod Nussbaumer
address@hidden