Screen and Linux box characters

From: Richard Cryer
Subject: Screen and Linux box characters
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:21:31 -0000

Hi.

I use screen 4.0.2 on various Linux versions ranging from Redhat 7 up to Redhat Enterprise 4.

However, it seem that Redhat 8 and onwards has a problem in that it won’t let me display box characters, something that the application we run relys on to display the screen layouts correctly.

I’ve managed to narrow the problem down somewhat and it can be reproduced by running the shell script below (which simply displays a somewhat shoddy box using box characters and the box on and box off escape sequences).

All this is using a vt100 terminal type and terminal emulator by the way (PowerTerm in this case).

--------------------------noddy shell script to display a box--------------------------

tput init

tput clear

echo -e "\016"

echo -e " lrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk"

echo -e " x                      x"

echo -e " x RUBBISH BOX BUT      x"

echo -e " x PROVES THE POINT...  x"

echo -e " x                      x"

echo -e " mrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrj"

echo -e "\017"

If I run this shell script outside of screen on Redhat Linux 8 or above, I get the box characters displayed. Within ‘screen –T vt100’ I get garbage.

Running this on Linux 7 works perfectly.

I’m stuck. Anyone have any fabulous ideas?!

Many thanks

Richard Cryer.