Re: Hard status line in vertical split mode.

From: cga2000
Subject: Re: Hard status line in vertical split mode.
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 23:22:24 -0400

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 10:12:46AM EDT, Michael Schroeder wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 11:05:10PM -0400, cga2000 wrote:
> > Is there any way I can configure screen so as to have a single hard
> > status line covering the entire width of the display.
> >
> > What I'm seeing is the left-most part of the hard-status line repeated
> > in each "window" and the right-most part of it is truncated.
>
> The hardstatus always covers the complete width of the terminal,
> are you mixing it up with the window caption?

Yes.  Right on the head.

Sorry for the mixup.

I had a couple more questions about vertical split & caption/status
lines:

1. After I do a vertical split, paging or searching is very slow on my
   machine. Is this something to do with my configuration?

2. Now that we have vertical split, shouldn't we have "focus right" &
   "focus left" commands, that could be bound to "h" and "l" for
   consistency with "j" and "k"?

3. Since I've managed to squeeze everything I need into the hardstatus
   :-) line, I would be in favor of having a "caption never" option
   added. I defined a "caption splitonly "%{+d kk} " so as to have an
   empty and mostly invisible line but it does waste a bit of space and
   it does not look quite right especially with vim or mutt that already
   use up a few lines at the bottom of the screen for their own
   purposes. I don't suppose I could get rid of the caption line at this
   point?

4. The vertical band that separates "windows" in vertical split mode.
   Is there any way I could suppress it or make it less conspicuous?

5. Is it possible to split the screen and display the contents of
   another window in a single action?  Right now I'm on window #2 and I
   would like to see what is in window #5 next to what I have in window
   #2.  What I do is C-A |, C-A Tab, C-A 5. Is there a better way?

6. The screen manual states that:

   "Colors are coded either as a hexadecimal number or two letters
   specifying the desired background and foreground color (..)"

   I haven't been able to find the syntax for coding these hex numbers.
   Is there any reason I would want to do so?  Would they provide
   additional functionality?

If anyone has answers to any of the above, I would appreciate.

Thank you.
cga