Re: how to use screen..

From: Breen Mullins
Subject: Re: how to use screen..
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 22:02:44 -0700

* ă n c h ă l <address@hidden> [2007-10-25 10:17 +0530]:

Hi,

I heard that screen is used to establish multiple sessions unlike the putty.

I am using putty currently.
Pl anyone tell me how to use screen and from where to download.
I surfed the mirror page of screen.. and found .tar.gz there. but do I need
to install it on the UNIX box which I am connecting or there is another
version available for window ( just like Putty has an exe file only).

Hi Anchal -

You'll run screen on the Unix host you're connecting to. Connect first with Putty - after you have a shell on the remote host you can run screen and have multiple terminals.

(Note that you don't have multiple sessions - there's only the one
session but you can have many terminals under screen all running in that same session.)

The admin on your unix host has probably already installed screen.

Breen
--
Breen Mullins
Menlo Park, California