Re: How to make F1/F2/F3/F4 usable in screen emacs?

From: Alain Bench
Subject: Re: How to make F1/F2/F3/F4 usable in screen emacs?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:58:10 +0100 (CET)

Hello Phil,

 On Tuesday, January 22, 2008 at 9:09:39 -0500, Phillip Michael Gregory wrote:

> PuTTY sends the same escape sequences as (IIRC) the linux console for
> F1-F4 by default. This is a problem because it sets its $TERM to
> 'xterm' which on many systems has different F1-F4 escape sequences.

    Indeed PuTTY and Xterm may differ on F1-F4, but they also differ on
a surprisingly great number of other things. TERM=xterm under PuTTY is
an heresy. Fortunately one can fix this changing in PuTTY's config ==>
Connection ==> Data ==> Terminal-type string "xterm" to something like
"putty-256color". Of course this requires having this "putty-256color"
terminfo entry installed on all hosts you connect to.

    One can quite safely generalize: TERM=xterm under anything else than
the real Xterm is also an heresy. ;-)

Bye!    Alain.
--
« if you believe in alleged compatibility, I've got a bridge to sell you. »