Re: Moving a window from one screen session to another

From: Joe Zbiciak
Subject: Re: Moving a window from one screen session to another
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 06:35:46 -0700 (PDT)

| > The Apache forking model moves streams between different
| > processes, but from what I heard, these are terribly unportable
| > operations, and they require the processes to be closely related
| > to each other.
|
| I don't understand the relevance of Apache.  Are you referring to the
| HTTP daemon?

Apache can keep a pool of threads around with a single listener
process.  It hands individual threads work to do by passing them
file descriptors over a pipe.  At least, that's what I seem to
recall it does, or did 10 - 12 years ago the last time I read up
on how Apache worked.

Passing sessions between instances of Screen would require a similar
process.  You'd need to hand the fd for the tty from one Screen to
another, perhaps with additional metadata (scroll history, perhaps?).

That's the relevance.

Regards,

--Joe