Re: screen in single user mode - "cannot open /dev/console"

From: Geraint Edwards
Subject: Re: screen in single user mode - "cannot open /dev/console"
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 09:11:25 +0100

John Davidorff Pell <address@hidden> said
                (on Wed, May 21, 2008 at 10:01:11PM -0700):
> Mac OS X is the only system that I know of that calls something "single user
> mode".

You look like you're quoting from the Wikipedia entry.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_user_mode

It's wrong - I should update it.

Of course, FreeBSD and Mac OS X are related, so this may be repeating what you
said:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/boot-init.html#BOOT-SINGLEUSER

Even Solaris (once a BSD-based O/S) has "run level S" which is also called
single-user mode.

        http://www.ussg.iu.edu/usail/man/solaris/init.1.html

Need I mention OpenBSD (and NetBSD probably has it too)?

        http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=init

--
Geraint A. Edwards (aka "Gedge")
address@hidden