Re: Two little features (and a bounty?)

From: Trent W. Buck
Subject: Re: Two little features (and a bounty?)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:36:21 +1000

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 06:39:47PM -0400, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
> I need two features added to screen, but I'm not a coder.  I can
> (and have) discussed on this list, as well as having seen these
> features justified and explained on mailing lists before, but I
> don't believe they work at this time.
>
> 1) Make printing work.  And by that I mean make it work JUST as it
> would work without screen, i.e. not "buffer" and send a bunch of
> printer stop/start sequences every 30 characters -- many SSH
> applications interpret that stop sequence as a page feed.

I don't know what you're talking about.  Can you provide step-by-step
instructions to reproduce this bug?

> 2) Make mouse work.  I haven't seen much with this.
>
> I'm willing to toss something monetary at a developer or developers
> who can look at this and make it happen.

Mouse works for me within screen:

    xterm -e screen emacs -nw -Q -f xterm-mouse-mode

Note that this requires Emacs to be compiled with X enabled (i.e. it
doesn't work in emacs22-nox).  The scroll wheel also works, but
requires bindings.  From my .emacs:

    (when (and (fboundp 'xterm-mouse-mode)
               (not window-system)
               (featurep 'mouse))
      (xterm-mouse-mode +1)
      (when (fboundp 'mwheel-scroll)
        (global-set-key (kbd "<mouse-4>") 'mwheel-scroll)
        (global-set-key (kbd "<mouse-5>") 'mwheel-scroll)))

PS: note that (not window-system) has the wrong semantics in CVS Emacs
with mtty, e.g. if your first Emacs window is a native X window but
then you start an mtty emacsclient inside screen.