sockname in hardstatus

From: Jaap Taal
Subject: sockname in hardstatus
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:05:39 +0200

I'm looking on the net for a method to print the sockname/sessionname in the hardstatus. I've only found some messages from 2003 that say this would be nice to have => directed to wishlist.

I was trying the following workaround:

screenrc:
backtick 84 0 0 /home/jtaal/bin/screen_sockname
hardstatus string "%84` ..."

and the following bashscript in screen_sockname
#!/bin/sh
echo $STY

Executing the command inside a screen session works like a charm, but it doesn't show anything in the hardstatus.

If I echo another environment variable all goes well.

Is the backtick command executed with the original enviroment instead of the environment a shell inside screen would have?