Re: Promote Screen? Include .screenrc!

From: Mark Eichin
Subject: Re: Promote Screen? Include .screenrc!
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:29:23 -0400

Yeah, I don't quite see how a screenrc would help either; mine is
nine lines, but 5 of them are trivial choices, and the others are
arguably workarounds for screen bugs:

        vbell off
        escape ^\a
        # let prompts appear in the titlebar
        # any xterm, change xterm, change screen...
        termcapinfo xterm* hs:ts=\E]0;:fs=^G:ds=\E]0;^G
hs:ts=\E]0;:fs=^G:ds=\E]0;^G
        hardstatus on
        bind q windows
        # let xterm scrollback behave
        termcapinfo xterm* te@:ti@
        unsetenv DISPLAY
        unsetenv WINDOWID
        defscrollback 1000

and most of the time I go to a new machine, I only bother with the
escape setting.  (I do have a few uses of screen as an "end-user init"
where it runs a bunch of processes, but practically application
development, it isn't useful to beginners either...)

The real issue I've found getting people to use it is that you mostly
need to *show* them; the man page is a fine reference (it's one of the
ones that I reread every couple of years to look for new things to
use) but I'm a unix geek - I suspect a well done *screencast* would be
more useful than a screenrc...