Re: Using the numpad in nested screens

From: Micah Cowan
Subject: Re: Using the numpad in nested screens
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 11:46:59 -0800

Chris Lieb wrote:
> Micah Cowan wrote:
>> Try adding the line:
>>   terminfocap screen* ks@:ke@
>> to your final destination host's ~/.screenrc or /etc/screenrc, and see
>> if that makes a difference in (freshly started) screen sessions.
> I added the line:
>       termcapinfo screen* ks@:ke@
> to ~/.screenrc on the final host and the numpad now works normally when
> in a nested screen session.  (I assume that's what you meant in your
> last email.)

Okay, good, so we found the source of the problem. Now I just need to
figure out what may be going wrong... all three terminfo definitions had

The \E[?1 sets "cursor key mode", and the \E= sets "application mode".
You may possibly want to keep \E= if it doesn't screw things up, so now
try changing the line to:

  termcapinfo screen* ks=\E=:ke=\E>

The remaining question is why \E[?1 screws things up for you (assuming
that's the one that does so). Since it's in your xterm definitions, the
first screen would have _already_ been sending both of those sequences
to your PuTTY, so the only thing I can think of is that screen itself
interprets those when it sees it (sent along by the nested screen). I'll
try to look into that.

- --
Micah J. Cowan
Programmer, musician, typesetting enthusiast, gamer.
Maintainer of GNU Wget and GNU Teseq
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -