Re: can 256color be recognized automatically?

From: Christian Ebert
Subject: Re: can 256color be recognized automatically?
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 13:35:54 +0100

* Chris Jones on Saturday, March 14, 2009 at 04:50:09 -0400
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 06:57:38PM EDT, Christian Ebert wrote:
>> At the moment I have to set explicitly
>>
>> term "screen-256color"
>
>> to get 256 colors working. Otherwise $TERM stays simply "screen",
>> even when called from an xterm-256color environment.
>
>> Sometimes, albeit rarely I switch to Apple's Terminal.app
>> (nsterm-16color), and I'd like to get screen-16color there
>> without having to set it explicitly.
>>
>> Is this possible? What am I doing wrong?
>
> Maybe you could use a wrapper that tests the underlying terminal's color
> capability & sets the $TERM environment variable?

I'd like to avoid a wrapper workaround.

Also, I'd expect the -T option to override the setting in
screenrc, but it doesn't. This might be considered as a bug.

  Was heißt hier Dogma, ich bin Underdogma!
[ What the hell do you mean dogma, I am underdogma. ]

_F R E E_  _V I D E O S_  -->>  http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/