Re: history list for Ctrl-exc-?, Ctrl-esc-/, Ctrl-]

From: Edward Peschko
Subject: Re: history list for Ctrl-exc-?, Ctrl-esc-/, Ctrl-]
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 11:37:51 -0700

> In the development code, we allow cycling through the history of commands
> using the standard bindings (up/down arrow keys, ^p ^n etc.). We do not,
> however, have any mechanism to search through the command history (e.g.
> the commands that start with 'a'). It may not be too difficult to
> implement. Is this kind of 'cycling through the command history that start
> with a certain sequence' feature available in some application?

Sure..

tcsh has it and it's a good productivity enhancer....

    bindkey -k up history-search-backward

as well as

    bindkey -k down history-search-forward

does it, and allows you to backtrack through your history a lot faster
than you otherwise could.

IMO, ctrl-esc-> that pastes from the buffers that are captured in such
a way would be great as well (in the same way that ctrl-esc-] does),
and could use the same mechanism..

I'm doing this all the time when I use command line debuggers that are
braindead (jdb, for example) - Ctrl-a-esc ?<pattern>, grab buffer,
ctrl-a-esc ] to paste. Works, but is ugly.. would be much better to
capture all the buffers that I need, and then

ctrl-a-esc > <up arrow>

to scroll through my last captured buffers, then return to paste.

Ed