Re: Mouse support document

From: Trent W. Buck
Subject: Re: Mouse support document
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 21:25:50 +1000

"Dan Mahoney, System Admin"
<address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to write a generalized sum-up of which terminal-mode apps
> support mice and how well, as well as a general summary of how it
> works and why, since it's been a bit of an enigma to me for a while.

As for Emacs, it supports xterm-style mouse input, both with and without
screen:

    xterm -e emacs -nw -f xterm-mouse-mode
    xterm -e screen emacs -nw -f xterm-mouse-mode

GPM only works when NOT using screen.  IIRC,

    openvt -sw -- emacs -f gpm-mouse-start
    openvt -sw -- screen emacs -f gpm-mouse-start  ## BROKEN

Furthermore, the documentation claims that GPM only works for one
terminal at a time, so emacs --daemon users will find it pretty useless.