Re: Dynamic Title

From: Dan Mahoney, System Admin
Subject: Re: Dynamic Title
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 17:07:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, Asif Iqbal wrote:

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Dan Mahoney, System Admin
<address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, 2 Jun 2009, Asif Iqbal wrote:

This is what I have done on the screen server to achieve dynamic title.

in .bashrc :

PROMPT_COMMAND='if [ $TERM = "screen" ]; then printf
"\033k${HOSTNAME%%.*}\033\\" ; fi'

in .ssh/config :
# this won't work unless your screen server has openssh 5.1 or above
host *
 PermitLocalCommand   yes
 LocalCommand /path/to/screen_ssh.sh %n

in screen_ssh.sh :
# got the idea from http://www.tenshu.net/screen_ssh/

Why would you tie this to your ssh command at all?

I have a postcmd in my shell like this (this is tcsh):

alias postcmd   'printf "\033%s%s %s %s\033\\" "k" "\!#:0" "\!#:$"
"[$HOST]"'

You need to create that alias on every hosts. I have 300 of them.

Nope, just the one I ssh out from. I ssh into about as many hosts as you do, but only one or two "home" servers (where my keys live, etc).

Better put, your shell only needs to be modified on machines you run "screen" on.

-Dan

--

"Hitler, Satan, those Hanson kids, anything.  Just not the curious
anteater."

-Peter Scolari, as Wayne Szalinki in "Honey, I Shrunk The Kids--The
Series"