Re: Problem with GNU Screen when using control + right/left arrows

From: Makmiller Martins Pedroso
Subject: Re: Problem with GNU Screen when using control + right/left arrows
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 16:39:51 -0700

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 2:59 AM, Thor Andreassen <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 06:34:44PM -0700, Makmiller Martins Pedroso wrote:

[...]

> *1.* When I'm at the terminal prompt inside of GNU Screen, I can move
> between words using Ctrl + arrows without any problem. However, if I call
> Emacs (with the command "emacs-snapshot-gtk -nw"), and I press Ctrl-<right>
> I get the characters "5D." I get the characters "5C" when I press
> Ctrl-<left>.

I can replicate this behavior. It looks like a escape code translation
error, but I can't pin it down. As you are using gnome-terminal which
seems to be setting TERM=xterm, you should be able to get away with
locally changing TERM for emacs, not a perfect workaround but it seems
to work here. For example you could run this within screen:

TERM=xterm emacs -nw somefile

[...]

--
HTH
Thor

Thanks so much!!
After changing the value of the TERM variable to "xterm"  the Ctrl key works as usual within emacs.

I also had a similar problem with the Shift + arrow keys but this problem also disappears after I change the value of the TERM variable.

Cheers,

mak