Re: Ping Packagers

From: Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
Subject: Re: Ping Packagers
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 14:51:46 -0500

* Dustin Kirkland had this to say on [09 Dec 2009, 10:37:17 -0800]:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Dustin Kirkland <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
> > <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> Hello everyone. Are there any screen packagers on this list? I am
> >> contemplating a sort of a beta-release somewhat soon-ish (still
> >> non-trivial amount of work to do, though, so no ETA yet), and was
> >> thinking if this list is the best place to reach the packagers.
> >
> > Hello-
> >
> > I maintain (along with some others) the screen package in Ubuntu, and
> > I do follow this list.
> >
> > We (Ubuntu) as well as Debian are carrying a stack of patches against
> > Screen.  Could we see about getting as many of these as possible into
> > your next upstream release?
>
> FYI, you can see the patches we're carrying at:
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/karmic/screen/karmic/files/head%3A/debian/patches/
[snip]

I looked at a number of them:

> 17manpage_sessionname_warning.dpatch

Applied after slight modification.
(855b8e7b98894e8f94033945720714c235911262)

> 18manpage_maxwin_limit.dpatch

Applied after removing the note about debian.
(04005670529085ef8527608c0ec34b06569f0bd8)

> 20defmonitor.dpatch

Already in.

> 21manpage_nethack_activation.dpatch

Applied. (3b19a1d343e72e4fa786e9ab514d80303902a2c1)

> 25allow_symlink_sockdir.dpatch

Applied. (1e450254e75877b6bb5cacedd5466245dbb54576)

> 27doc_sty_noenvpassing.dpatch

Applied. (f6c4b82)

> 28blankerprg_callsemantics.dpatch

Applied in 52efeb8 after some change. Instead of unsetting blankerprg on
no argument, it will show the currently set blankerprg. To unset, use ''
as the argument. I have updated the man/info page accordingly.

> 31upstream_cherries.dpatch

Already in.

> 32misc_minor_fixes.dpatch

eh, I like that message :)

> 33increase_max_winmsg_renditions.dpatch

I think 256 is a bit too excessive. I am going to increase it to 128
instead, which I honestly think should be more than enough.

I am also considering increasing the oft requested window limit. That
will probably require a bit more work than just changing the define.

> 40cjk_eastasian.dpatch

Already in.

> 45suppress_remap.dpatch

I think this is incorrect. What keybindings are broken now? I think
17b43961982caa5132d98544addc4de3f89103db fixes at least part of the bug
this patch tries to fix. I need to know if keys other than the end-key
are broken.

> 50EXP_tilde_expansion.dpatch

Already in.

> 51EXP_session_creation_time.dpatch

Need to take a closer look. The idea sounds nice. But it doesn't look
like the implementation is very portable. I think it would be simpler to
add the timestamp of the session creation in the socket name, like we now
add just the PID.

> 56-source-file-not-found-warning.dpatch

I disagree with this change. I think the error message is appropriate.

> 58-show-encoding-hardstatus.dpatch

I don't like this patch. I wouldn't want more string escapes unless they
are really useful. In this case, I am not convinced that showing the
encoding in the caption is all that useful. This information is available
in 'info'. Is there a use case where that's not enough?

> 59-no-beep-on-write-acl.dpatch

Applied. (84b8ef5)

I can't get the rest of them at the moment, getting an "Internal Server
Error" from launchpad.

I plan to start looking at the fedora patches next, and the rest of the
debian/ubuntu patches.

Cheers,
Sadrul