Re: use the "windows" key as the escape key

From: aw585
Subject: Re: use the "windows" key as the escape key
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:03:35 GMT

> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:03:50 -0600
> From: Dustin Kirkland <address@hidden>
> Subject: use the "windows" key as the escape key
> To: address@hidden
>
> I have been asked this several times and I haven't been able to find
> the answer myself.
>
> Is it possible to use the "Windows" key (Super_L) (between Ctrl and
> Alt) as the screen escape key?  If so, how do you set this in your
> ..screenrc?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> :-Dustin

I was about to blog on this, perhaps a different angle of attack than
what you ask for, but it works for me.
(I'm suffering from blog constipation,
things worth blogging about are happening too fast
and taking up all the time I have to blog about them.  :-( )

I remap the Windows key to the escape character.

I'm using a Debian system with the 'kbd' package replacing
'console-tools' - this makes a big difference.
The procedure for remapping keys under 'console-tools' is
described in the console/keyboard Howto from tldp.
To do this under 'kbd', first identify the key code for the
Windows key - same as under 'console-tools', with showkeys.
On my system, it was 126.
Then go to the directory /etc/console-setup/,
and backup the file cached.kmap.gz.
Uzip it with the tool of your choice.
Following the pattern of the file,
go to, or insert if it isn't there, the appropriate line, in my case

keycode 126 = Control_o Control_o Control_o Control_o Control_o Control_o
Control_o
Control_o Control_o Control_o

and fill in with the appropriate value - as you can see,
I remap it in my screenrc to C-O for various reasons.
Recompress the file and replace the original   cached.kmap.gz.
Then execute the command:

setupcon  --force -v -k

Anyway, it works for me.  :-)

Regards, Dallas E. Legan II / address@hidden / address@hidden