Re: Re: Reattaching

From: 1 . 41421
Subject: Re: Re: Reattaching
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 02:49:33 +0000

On Feb 20, 2010 7:46pm, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury <address@hidden> wrote:
> * address@hidden had this to say on [18 Feb 2010, 18:31:39 +0000]:
>
> > I run a combination of screen and autossh to open terminal emulators on a
>
> > remote box R. Occasionally, be by accident or by design, my local box L
>
> > gets rebooted. When this happens, on bringing L up again I would like to
>
> > retrieve my screen/autossh terminal emulators running on R. This is easy
>
> > enough: First I ssh from L into R; in this ssh session I do screen -list
>
> > to obtain the list of detached screens in R; I finally reattach to the
>
> > screen session I want by means of exec screen -x id, where id is the id
>
> > of the target screen session, as printed out by screen -list.
>

> > Although this recovers my detached session all right, the problem is that
>
> > in RI will now have two screen sessions for each screen session I
>
> > reattach to. Is there a simple way to reattach without incurring in this
>
> > drawback?
>

> Do you mean two screen 'processes', when you say two screen 'sessions'?

I guess it is processes. When screen -list lists, say, 10 entries, according to ps I also have 10 instances of screen.

> Also, what exactly do you mean by 'drawback'?

Resources usage. If start with 5 screen instances, detach, and on reattaching as explained I end up with 10 screen instances, that, in my opinion, is not an efficient use of my resources.