Re: Re: Reattaching

From: Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
Subject: Re: Re: Reattaching
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 23:15:11 -0500

* address@hidden had this to say on [21 Feb 2010, 02:49:33 +0000]:
> On Feb 20, 2010 7:46pm, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury <address@hidden> wrote:
>> * address@hidden had this to say on [18 Feb 2010, 18:31:39 +0000]:
>> > I run a combination of screen and autossh to open terminal emulators
>> on a
>> > remote box R. Occasionally, be by accident or by design, my local box L
>> > gets rebooted. When this happens, on bringing L up again I would like to
>> > retrieve my screen/autossh terminal emulators running on R. This is easy
>> > enough: First I ssh from L into R; in this ssh session I do screen -list
>> > to obtain the list of detached screens in R; I finally reattach to the
>> > screen session I want by means of exec screen -x id, where id is the id
>> > of the target screen session, as printed out by screen -list.
>> >
>> > Although this recovers my detached session all right, the problem is
>> that
>> > in RI will now have two screen sessions for each screen session I
>> > reattach to. Is there a simple way to reattach without incurring in this
>> > drawback?
>> Do you mean two screen 'processes', when you say two screen 'sessions'?
> I guess it is processes. When screen -list lists, say, 10 entries,
> according to ps I also have 10 instances of screen.

If -list displays 10 entries, then yes, there are 10 sessions.

By 'session', I here mean a 'server process'. When you attach to a
session, a 'display' (or 'client') is created. A single session can have
several (or none) displays. However, 'screen -list' displays only
the 'sessions', not 'displays', so if you attach to 5 sessions, however
many times, it should only display 5 entries.

It almost sounds like instead of attaching to an existing session, new
sessions are created. Can you confirm that the attaches are indeed being