Re: Python wrapper for gnu-screen

From: Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
Subject: Re: Python wrapper for gnu-screen
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:41:15 -0400

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 3:37 AM, Christophe, Jean-Charles Narbonne <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I'm a french student and I used screen to administrate server since a long time.

I've never made personal config files or search deep in all screen features but I developed for personal usage a lib in python for administration scripts.
(it's allow to inject code into the screens sessions, use monitoring ...).

I use it to automate things in shell flavored servers.

As I published this lib, I now ask for feedbacks from interested advenced screen scripters/users/developers... Is this kind of tool interesting? Which feature should be added? Is the gnu-screen spirit respected?

I think most people would agree that having greater control over screen from a script would be very useful. I would highly encourage people to help with adding native scripting support in screen. Some work has been already been done: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/screen.git/log/?h=scripting There's currently support for scripts written in python and lua. It would be extremely incredible if people would start using this, and fix bugs and/or request/implement new features etc. Once I settle down with my new job and the moving process, I plan to restart working on this myself (but working alone is really boring).

Cheers.
Sadrul