Re: where to get the vertical split patch?

From: Dustin Kirkland
Subject: Re: where to get the vertical split patch?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 22:40:11 -0500

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Andrew Schulman
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi all.  I'm the maintainer of screen in Cygwin.  We currently have version
>> 4.0.3, with some Cygwin-specific patches and 256-color support.
>>
>> I'm looking for the famous vertical split patch.  I see the version linked
>> from http://fungi.yuggoth.org/vsp4s/, but that version seems to be
>> outdated.  I tried it in Cygwin, and among other problems, it doesn't show
>> a vertical divider on the screen, and has no documentation of the vertical
>> split feature.  There's discussion at
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/123523.
>>
>> The usual advice seems to be to check out the latest version of the screen
>> source from git, which includes the vertical split capability.
>> Unfortunately this doesn't work in Cygwin, because there's a large
>> Cygwin-specific patch that I have to apply, that fails on the latest git
>> source.  I know I'll have to get past that at some point, but at the moment
>> I just want to add vertical split to the version we have that works in
>> Cygwin.
>>
>> A third method would be to try to apply all of the vertical-split related
>> commits from
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/screen.git/log/?qt=grep&q=vertical.  I
>> haven't tried this yet, but it seems unlikely to work.
>>

> I would highly encourage using as much from the git repository on
> savannah.gnu.org as possible. There have been various fixes related to
> vertical splits, especially related to scrolling performance with
> vertical splits. Unfortunately, it is difficult to isolate the commits
> that deal with only vertical splits (some of the fixes may even be
> dependent on other changes you will need to include, etc.).

Hi Sadrul,

I'm hitting a few of these (v-split related bugs), as well as a
handful of other problems stemming from cherry picking individual
patches from git (and neglecting later ones).

Is there any chance of rolling a candidate screen release any time soon?

Cheers,
--
:-Dustin