Re: Beginner Question: Is GNU Screen still in active development? Will t

From: Brian Kroth
Subject: Re: Beginner Question: Is GNU Screen still in active development? Will there be future releases?
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 09:45:28 -0500

Andrew Schulman <address@hidden> 2011-10-13 09:46:
Regarding the subject, just wanted to know this because I am trying to
decide whether to go with Screen or Tmux.   So far in my experience,
Screen seems more mature (but I might not be qualified enough to say
this :-) ) .

I admit a release has been slow in coming, and because of that I have also been considering a switch to tmux for a handful of features I've been waiting for. However, screen is mature and I know it well and haven't had enough time to switch yet. I also don't know if I could get tmux for some of the Solaris machines I have to deal with. Also, most of the features I wanted have been in the git version of screen for a while so development on screen does continue to progress albeit slowly. In an effort to move things along some of us have started work to try and package a git version for distros like Debian:
http://noone.org/blog/English/Computer/Debian/Git%20Snapshot%20of%20GNU%20Screen%20in%20Debian%20Experimental.html
http://packages.debian.org/experimental/screen

I'm using it (backported for squeeze) on a large lab setup already.

Brian