Re: screen script

From: Nick Atzert
Subject: Re: screen script
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 13:28:42 -0700

Oh no I'm not launching 20k scripts at once. At most I'll do about 100 at one time. I usually have to do this 3 or 4 times over the course of one day at work though. It's just tedious and I'm trying to automate as much as possible.

I will definitely check out some of your guys suggestions. Thanks!

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Bruno Cudini <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 11:28:32AM -0700, Nick Atzert wrote:
> I've considered doing it that way but the list of servers is constantly
> changing. I help maintain about 20,000 machines globally. It will never be
> the same list.

What about scripting the .screenrc processing, or launching them
dynamically ? From within screen, you can spawn a new session, with the
same command suggested by Alan Young :

for SERVER in `cat servers.list`
do
        screen -t "$SERVER" 0 /bin/bash -c "whatever you want on $SERVER"
done

By the way, I'm not sure screen is the most convenient/effective way to
launch 20k scripts simultaneously.