Re: screen removes utmp entry for parent login?

From: Joe Zbiciak
Subject: Re: screen removes utmp entry for parent login?
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 19:51:40 -0700 (PDT)

As I recall, if screen has utmp support and can write utmp, it will remove your login session from utmp, since screen will now multiplex all of your other session windows over that one tty, and it doesn't necessarily make sense to leave that no-longer-unique tty as your "current login."

The deflogin setting controls the default state of each screen window you create subsequently.

It sounds like, for your case, you either want no utmp support at all, or you just want one window of your many windows marked as logged in.  (The latter was how I mainly ran screen through most of college; since then, my "logged in" state hasn't mattered much, if at all, since nobody at work uses 'write', 'talk', 'ytalk', 'w' or 'who'.)

--
We sell Spatulas, and that's all!
http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/