Keep utmp record

From: Sebastian Unger
Subject: Keep utmp record
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 20:03:05 +1200

Hi There,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I googled it, but didn't come up with an answer.

Is there a way to make screen keep the utmp record even when one detaches from it? On Ubuntu, the (GUI) shutdown will conveniently refuse to shut down the machine if other people are logged on. I often ssh into the same box and use screen to start some long-running process and then detach. I would like the machine to not shut down when people that are logged on at the console use the GUI shutdown command while I have screen running. Is this possible?

With my normal screen invocation (screen -R -DD -U), the behaviour is that 'who' shows an entry for each of the shells I have running (created via C-a c, not sure what you call these, windows, sessions, ....). However as soon as I detach from screen (via C-a d), 'who' no longer shows me as logged on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Seb

This email, including any attachments, is only for the intended recipient. It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be the subject of legal or other privilege, none of which is waived or lost by reason of this transmission.
If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disseminate, distribute or reproduce such email, any attachments, or any part thereof. If you have received a message in error, please notify the sender immediately and erase all copies of the message and any attachments.
Unfortunately, we cannot warrant that the email has not been altered or corrupted during transmission nor can we guarantee that any email or any attachments are free from computer viruses or other conditions which may damage or interfere with recipient data, hardware or software. The recipient relies upon its own procedures and assumes all risk of use and of opening any attachments.